Studioverde provided crucial planning and schematic design services to the MDOT project team which was assembled to address the emergency replacement of a key transportation link for coastal Maine – the failing, but much loved, historic Waldo-Hancock bridge.
Studioverde staff were the site design lead during initial planning meetings; and provided design studies for:
- integrating parking areas on the steeply sloped site
- bridge enhancement details
- options for re-use of on-site materials
- signage and interpretive planning
- connections between public lands
- pedestrian access
Many of those schematic design concepts were incorporated into the final design of the bridge observatory site.
Today the Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory is the first and only bridge observatory in the United States, and the tallest in the world, with an awe-inducing panorama of Maine’s mountains and coastline.
- Maine Department of Transportation Bureau of Project Development and Environmental Office
- Kleinfelder (formerly Guertin Elkerton & Associates)